Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Blackberry and Rugby

We spent the second day to shop all the basic needs to work such as the mobile broadband, phone credits, and also some modest clothes to go to the Welcoming Suva Suva (Kava) Ceremony on the next day. I realized that Vodafone is a major cellular provider in Fiji with its massive advertisements and number of stores. It is also the only blackberry internet service provider in Fiji, which I found is interesting. The ones in Indonesia and Australia are focusing on the use of blackberry as a business gadget. However, the Fiji blackberry advertisement focuses on lifestyle; it mentioned zumba and young people dancing as the background. I think this reflects the relax lifestyle of the Fijian people that Vodafone decided to target lifestyle more than business needs.

The only reading I have partially done before the departure was We Are Fiji by Cattermole (2008). Therefore, I was aware that Fijians are very fond of their national sport—Rugby or Sevens. Staying in Fiji definitely helps me to understand the reading. I saw some advertisements featuring Rugby on the Air Pacific in-flight magazine, the ANZ board at the airport, and Vodafone television commercial. Our host also couldn’t stop talking about the winning of the Fijian team in the Gold Coast Sevens Fever Pitch tournament few days ago.

I lost my vodafone blackberry flyer and I can't find it on google, but I will post it once I got another one :)

1 comment:

  1. Remember when you first met Mosi?
    He fell in love with you from Day 1 which is why he harrassed you with his dirty jokes :)

    ReplyDelete